Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A New You!

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

Recently I was asked if I was considering working outside the home when Zander goes to school. I would be lying if I said I haven't considered it and wondered about it often. It's interesting how what we do every day sort of defines us. Right now, I'm Mom, first and foremost. When Zander goes to school, am I still considered a stay-at-home Mom? Even though I don't have a child at home to be mom to all day long? Am I considered less of a person then if I don't get myself outside the home and get a job of some kind? I've certainly wondered several times if there is a way for me to use my cooking, but not in the restaurant field. Who knows.

It seems we are always struggling to define who we are. I know I do. Then this morning I read this verse, and I thought to myself, why are we always defined by what we do? Why is it when people ask us about ourselves we talk about our jobs or our hobbies? Instead, I should remember this verse and remember that I am defined by the One who saved me. I am a new person in Christ, the old person doesn't matter anymore. Every day when I wake up I have a new opportunity to use my relationship with God to the fullest.

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." 1 Timothy 4:8

Even Paul mentions in the Bible that while the physical things that we do here on earth have some merit, it's the matters of the heart and the spirit that are more important. Maybe rather than focusing on what I want to do when Zander goes to school on the physical side, maybe I should be focusing elsewhere. What would God have me do?

For now though, I can take heart and be encouraged, because today is a new day, and I am a new person! I have a whole day ahead of me, and who knows what blessings the Lord will bestow upon me today.

No comments: