Friday, March 07, 2008

Yikes!

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24

Could you say this? Could I say this? Would we want to say this I guess. Would we really want to look at God and say "go ahead, take a peek." I don't know about that. With this verse it's like David is completely opening himself up, making himself vulnerable and available, and he has no fear about what God could find hidden underneath that skin.

I'd be afraid to be embarrassed about what would be found in there. I could just see the conversation. " No wait, I'm not really that selfish." Or "No, honest, I like to do that."

This verse today just really makes me think. If we opened ourselves up completely to God, would we like what he found there? And if not, then don't you think that's something to work on? Something to pray on? Maybe that vulnerable feeling is what keeps people from really getting to know God, from really falling on their knees and telling him to have his way in their life. It's a reluctance, part fear from what will be found there, and part embarrassment.

But the good part is that God still loves us. He wants this from us, but he also knows that it's not going to happen overnight. He will help us to get rid of the offensive yuck and lead us in the way of the everlasting- that is how he works. Our God is a graceful and merciful God, and he doesn't care about what he'll find in there. He wants us to be free of those evils that plague us. There is no need to feel ashamed or embarrassed or afraid, for God loves us unconditionally and by letting Him in completely, those things will be whisked away and we will be made right again.

Wow. That's great news and a wonderful encouragement.

No comments: