Thursday, March 27, 2008

Back T o The Basics

"My salvation and my honor depend on God ; he is my mighty rock, my refuge." Psalm 62:7


I was thinking about something last night, and I thought it would make a good subject for a blog post. I was thinking about books. I am a book fiend, I always have my nose in a book or two at one time, and I almost always enjoy them. At the same time, I do take the time every day to spend with my Bible as well. I've talked so many times about how important that is to me. Even one single verse every day is better than nothing. Then there is my husband. He simply doesn't read much, since he's been done with school, reading has not been a priority or something he does for enjoyment. I certainly don't blame him one bit, he is a busy man, and I know not everyone enjoys reading. But he really struggles to read his Bible. He struggles to find the time every day to do so, but he does try.

Yet...when you walk into a Christian book store these days, the book selection is amazing! There are so many books available- personally, I love all the fiction now available! That didn't used to be. Then there's all the non-fiction. The books that are designed to help you grasp a concept in the Bible or become a better person. These are the books Andy and I were discussing last night. Every once in a while someone suggests that Andy read one of these kinds of books, and he really struggles with that. As someone who simply doesn't read much, or has the time to read much, isn't it better that he concentrates the little reading time he has on the Bible? Which is better, reading The One Book written by God, or dozens of books written by men and women about God? Honestly, I think that's a no-brainer.

I guess I just think that as a whole we as Christians put to much stock in what man has written. I even heard someone mention once that they could tell which books their pastor was reading by the sermons he was giving. That's just sad to me, what better inspiration is there than the Bible? As an avid reader, I understand the pull of a good book- fiction or factual. Sometimes I do appreciate a book pointing something out in the Bible for me that I may have missed before, and I make no secret that I use study guides to do my daily studying, but it always comes back to the Bible. There is nothing that man can write that can compare with what God has written. Nothing.

"Joshua said to the Israelites, "Come here and listen to the words of the LORD your God." Joshua 3:9

"As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him." 2 Samuel 22:31

"Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God." Ecclesiastes 5:7

No comments: