Thursday, February 21, 2008

Out of the Comfort Zone

Sometimes we just need to do it. Sometimes we just need to take a deep breath, step out of our comfort zone, and do what needs to be done. Let me tell you, it's taken me a long time to be able to volunteer to do something at church. A long time. This is odd, because I grew up in a church where I was always involved in six or seven aspects of church at a time. Whether it be teaching, playing an intrument or leading a ministry, I was always involved. What was different for me this time around was that in some cases, there were people already doing the things I knew how to do. So I didn't volunteer for fear of upsetting the person who was already doing. Why would they want to give up their ministry? Why would they want help from me?

Then we volunteered for something that I had never thought of volunteering for- the simple task of taking care of the morning coffee. Lo and behold, the woman who had been taking care of this very thing for years was tired of doing it. She didn't want to do it anymore and was beyond thrilled that we volunteered to do so.

The lesson learned there is that you never know. When you're feeling like you need to step up and volunteer to do something, maybe that's God's way of telling you that someone else needs a break, or it's time for you to do something different. Fear should be no part of it.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

Sometimes it does take a bit of courage... when I volunteered to play the drums again, I kept chiding myself for doing so. I was so nervous that first time I played! I don't know why- I'd played for years at another church and with the school band, but this was something new. This was showing a whole group of peers that I had this talent that they never knew about. Seriously, let me tell you, I really felt like throwing up the first time I sat behind the drum set a few months back. And then just a few weeks later I was hauling in congas and percussion things and doing something that I never even thought of doing before. It was crazy, but apparently God had a reason for pulling me out of my comfort zone. The simple act of being able to contribute something at church has really helped me feel a renewed purpose for even going to church.

It did take an act of courage for me to step up and volunteer, but there was no fear, because I knew what God wanted from me. I pray that He will continue to give me courage when I need it, because I know there's more coming...

No comments: