Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Make the Most of our Time

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

This verse was in my mind last night and this morning. Andy and I have been watch The Lord of The Rings the past few days, and one of the lines from the movie really struck me as true to us today, and this verse echoes it. This is something that Gandalf says to Frodo when Frodo mentions that he wishes he'd never had the ring.

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us. That's just so true! We only have so many days to live our lives- what should we do with them to best utilize our potential. The Psalm above says to "teach us to number our days aright." I think that is an important thing to think on. If we live each day as if we only had a few left, would it make a difference? If I thought I only had a few more days left to live, would I really spend it watching TV or using the computer or even cooking away in the kitchen? I think not. You can bet that I would be spending as much time with my children and my family as possible. You can bet that I would be doing what I could while I could.

I read a book this past year about a woman searching for her mother. When she finally found her, her mother was very ill and had very few days left to live. And one of the last things that her mother wanted to tell her before passing on was how much she loved Jesus, and how she hoped that her daughter would meet him too. What would I tell my child in that instance? I can honestly say I don't know.

We have a new year in front of us, a new opportunity to make a difference, to make a change. Will I live this year as I did before? Flitting from day to day as if there were many more? Or will I start to make a difference? Will I try harder to reach out to those around me, as if our days were numbered? If I knew that Jesus was coming back for us in the next few years, wouldn't I do everything in my power to try and take as many of my family and friends with me? Maybe I need to apply some of that sense of urgency to my everyday life. Instead of treading so lightly around those who do not know Jesus, so as not to offend them, instead I need to be more up-front. When someone comes to me with a problem, instead of just being a willing ear, I need to offer to pray with that person about their problems. I need to offer verses of encouragement to them too.

What do I do with the time I have been given. That's a great and humbling thing to think on.

No comments: