Wednesday, January 16, 2008

He Knows My Name...

" O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.

2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me." Psalm 139:1-5


There's a song we sing at church that I don't always pay attention to. The chorus goes like this: "He knows my name, he knows my every thought, he sees each tear that falls and hears me when I call." We'll sing it, I'll play it, but I don't always grasp it. The point is that God knows me. He knows every single thing. He knows my name, my thoughts, my hopes and dreams. He knows the good thoughts and the bad thoughts, he knows the thoughts of a servant, and the thoughts of selfishness that I sometimes have. God also knows every single thing we do. Everything! He knew that this morning Abigail was going to get herself up and ready for school before the alarm went off. He knew the cereals that my children were going to put in their bowls, and he knows how the rest of my day is going to go.

God knows me better than I know myself. On one hand, that thought can be a bit...frightening. He knows everything about me...yet he still loves me! On the other hand though, it can be such a comfort to know that someone knows us so well. When we're having a rough period of time, or a rough moment, we can turn to God and seek his comfort or his help. And despite all my flaws and faults, God loves me unconditionally. He will never give me more struggles than he knows I can handle. Even when it seems like I'm overwhelmed, I can remember that God knows me better than I know myself, and wouldn't let me tackle the challenges alone.

"Oh Lord you have searched me and you know me." What an amazing God.

No comments: