Monday, January 21, 2008

Gaining Confidence

We've been studying the book of Exodus for our group, and this week was focused on chapters 3 and 4, where God tells Moses what he would like him to do. One thing that really stuck out for me this week was that Moses tried to talk God out of it. He didn't want to do it- he didn't want to be the leader God was telling him to be. He had real doubts about his public speaking ability, and really tried to convince God that he wasn't the man for the job.

"But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"' Exodus 3:11

"Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." Exodus 4:10

"But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." Exodus 4:12

And of course, God had his way and it was Moses who set forth to free the Israelites from the Egyptians, but not without much complaining and much doubt.

Then this morning I opened my Bible to Judges, chapter 6 and found a similar argument going on between God and the young man Gideon.

"When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said, "The LORD is with you, mighty warrior."

13 "But sir," Gideon replied, "if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our fathers told us about when they said, 'Did not the LORD bring us up out of Egypt?' But now the LORD has abandoned us and put us into the hand of Midian."

14 The LORD turned to him and said, "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?"

15 "But Lord , " Gideon asked, "how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family."

16 The LORD answered, "I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together."

17 Gideon replied, "If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me. Judges 6:12-17

The thing is, I bet that most times, when God asks us to do something, or shows us something that needs to be done, we kind of look at it like Gideon and Moses both did. "Who, me? You've got to be kidding, I don't think so." But God knows us, he wouldn't set a task before us that we can't handle anyways. That task could lead to something that you never thought possible too- it could bring someone else encouragement, it could bring spiritual growth to yourself or others, it could lead someone to the Lord. You never know who is going to be touched by your willingness to follow God's directions.

There's more to this though. Look at what God says to both Gideon and Moses-

"The LORD turned to him and said, "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?" Judges 6:14

"The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ? 12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." Exodus 4:11

God gave both men assurances that he would be with them, and he would help them with the tasks before them. That in itself is a great encouragement- to know that when God places a task before us, he will not abandon us to the task alone. He will be with us and will help us learn exactly what we are to do. We can have our doubts that we are up to the challenge God has given us, and God will give us the strength we need to overcome those doubts. And God was patient with both these men for a time, encouraging them and assuring them that indeed, he did choose them to do his work.

Of course, that doesn't help identify exactly when God is pushing us in a certain direction, but I think that's a post for another day.

No comments: