Saturday, December 29, 2007

There is Always Room In Heaven

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." John 14:1-3

One thing that we never need to worry about is that there will be room for us in Heaven. :-) While scientists here on earth are discussing global population and when we will run out of room, there will always be room with God. And the best part is that he wants us there with him! He wants us to learn to love him here on earth so that he can spend eternity with us. That's a long time, and it's humbling to think about. To think that God wants to spend eternity with me... that's a little crazy to think about.

What I also love about this verse above is Jesus's brutal honesty. "If it were not so, I would have told you." He says that so matter-of-factly. That if there would be reason for concern, he would have shared that information with those closest to him. Jesus was completely honest while he was on earth. God doesn't lie. And while he was on earth as Jesus, he did not lie then either. He needed to leave his friends to prepare a place for them in heaven, and he told them that as a way to comfort them. He gave them a thought to think on while they were grieving the loss of their friend and savior. They could cling to his words after he was gone, and that speaks a lot about Jesus and his character. He was kind and compassionate, and honest.

And we can cling to that too. We can cling to knowing that right now, a place is being prepared for us to spend eternity. Our job is to take along as many with us as we can. Where here on earth we go visiting and need to check with our hosts before bringing a friend, in heaven, there will be endless room, and God wants us to bring as many with us as we can. Who would you like to ask to accompany you to heaven?

No comments: