Monday, November 05, 2007

Our Helper

"He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you." John 14:17

I found this verse particularly intriguing to me today. It was the second line of the verse that really struck me. "The world cannot receive him because it isn't looking for him and doesn't recognize him." That's just plain interesting. As Christians, the Holy Spirit is our guide, our compass, the one who helps direct us towards God, and helps keeps us from trouble. That niggling conscience sometimes...that's the Holy Spirit. But for those who aren't saved, those who don't recognize Christ as their savior, they don't even have the access we have to the Holy Spirit. They have to rely solely on their own moral compasses to distinguish right from wrong. It's the Holy Spirit who raises those alarm bells in the back of their heads, and I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to not have that helper...

I had a little niggling the other day. It was last week. Normally, I am a person who doesn't turn on the furnace until I absolutely have to. It's expensive to heat our home! So I kept finding other ways to warm up the home a little, delaying the annual "furnace turn on." And for some reason, one day that we could have done without, I really felt strongly that I should turn it on. So I did. And it didn't work. So thankfully, we didn't need it! But even better, we were able to have it repaired before we needed it. And oh boy, did it need repairs. Thank you Holy Spirit! Not only is our house warm when we need it warm, but it is not being filled with the toxic fumes that the furnace was producing. Scary. And I am oh so thankful to have a helper in the Holy Spirit. I need him, we need him, to help guide us each and every day.

No comments: