Friday, November 30, 2007

In Awe

When we talk about how we view God...that can be a tricky one to describe. But as I was reading a few verses today, I thought, these just remind me of awe. Awe is a great word to describe how I feel about God, and all that he does. When I am in awe, I can see or sense the power, I also fear the potential there is. It makes me want to fall to my knees in submission, but also to jump for joy and celebrate. Awe can bring both reactions.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline." Proverbs 1:7

"Then those who feared the LORD talked with each other, and the LORD listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the LORD and honored his name.

17 "They will be mine," says the LORD Almighty, "in the day when I make up my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as in compassion a man spares his son who serves him." Malachi 3:16,17

"Praise the LORD.
Blessed is the man who fears the LORD,
who finds great delight in his commands." Psalm 112:1

"Who, then, is the man that fears the LORD ?
He will instruct him in the way chosen for him.

13 He will spend his days in prosperity,
and his descendants will inherit the land.

14 The LORD confides in those who fear him;
he makes his covenant known to them." Psalm 25:12-14

When I think about what's in store for us...or rather, the fact that we don't know what's in store for us, yet there is something, that puts me in awe. And I think about all the things that we've gone through over the years, which are really just things in preparation for...well, something. To use one of my son's favorite lines, "something amazing, I guess." That's just awe-inspiring to me to think that there is an ultimate being, a God out there who knows where we are headed, and what's in store for us. And to prepare us for that, He puts challenges and obstacles to overcome in the meantime. So that when the days come, we are prepared and ready to accept that challenge. That's literally awesome!

So this morning I find myself in awe of My God. He is a Great God, and I find it amazing that we can wake each morning with a fresh opportunity to get to know him better.

No comments: