Friday, November 09, 2007

He Is Our Protection

Sometimes it can be such a comfort to think about all the roles that God can play in our lives. I talk a lot about how he is our provider, and sometimes that may get a little redundant, but I've seen it! I know for a fact that he does provide, even when it seems impossible. But this morning I woke to some lovely verses that remind me that God is also our protector too. And this can be such a comfort in so many times...because there are so many times where we may need protection. We may not even know we need the protection at the time, yet he is there always.

"but whoever listens to me will live in safety
and be at ease, without fear of harm." Proverbs 1:33

Perhaps our need for protection is a physical one. We maybe live in an unsafe neighborhood, community, or country for that matter. We see here in Proverbs that we need fear no harm. I use this every day as I send Abigail to school. I pray for protection over her- while she is at school, and while she is in transit. She's decided she wants to walk herself to and from school, and while I could put my foot down and tell her I think that's a bad idea, instead, I've given her to God, placed her in his protection, and I know he has angels walking with her every single day.

"The LORD watches over you—
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;

8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore." Psalm 121:5-8

How's that for an encouraging verse! He will watch over our lives, and keep us from all harm! He will watch over us forevermore! Forevermore is a long time. As a child of God, we have been given the wonderful gift of a protector. He's like a big brother, watching out for us on the schoolyard. Because not only does he protect us from the physical harm from man, beast, and weather, but he also protects us emotionally.

"No weapon formed against you shall prosper,
And every tongue which rises against you in judgment
You shall condemn.
This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD,
And their righteousness is from Me,”
Says the LORD." Isaiah 54:17

See that? Every tongue which rises against us will be condemned. How's that for protection? We also get protection from the things that could be said that could hurt us emotionally.

And I have to look just for a second at the line that says "this is the heritage of the servants of the Lord." That means that we truly do belong to God, and as his servants, we receive that protection as sort of an inheritance. And even better, is that no one can take it away from us. What a comfort this morning to know that God is watching out for us all the time. And an encouragement as well, to know that worry is pointless. There is no need to worry about what tomorrow holds. As long as we are under the protection of our Heavenly Father, we have no need to worry. Instead, we should concentrate our effort on giving thanks for that protection. I know I'll be doing that today.

No comments: