Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Checking On My Priorities

Of all the studying of the Bible I have done over the last year since I studied this blog, the one that sticks with me most is my study of Proverbs 31. I love going back to it and reading it over and reminding myself some of the things that I have learned. As I read through, I see the things that I have been working on, and they give me such a smile, to know how far I've come. And I see the things that I desperately need to work on yet and it's a reminder that I am never finished.

The last few days, I have been a little busy beaver. My husband is not working now, so it's been my personal challenge to make sure that nothing gets wasted right now. Every meal that I make is planned with another meal in mind, to help that grocery dollar stretch.

"She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls" Proverbs 31:14,15

We were blessed enough to have a few extra dollars last week, so we stopped at an apple orchard and picked up some second run apples. I've been busy turning those apples into applesauce and apple pie filling, for treats in the months to come. Andy picked up pie pumpkins, which I've been baking and freezing for pumpkin pies, and raviolis and quick breads. I've been cooking extra meals to have in the freezer, so that I have peace of mind that we will have something to eat in the weeks to come. It's been wonderful! I've found the energy to get these things done, and I feel like I'm not just sitting around wasting my time.

"She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

I feel so blessed to be able to prepare this way for the time ahead of us. While I am constantly praying that all my work will be for naught, I have the knowledge that what I have done will get the job done, should the need arise. And I just have this "feeling" right now, that I can't do enough. I'm looking at scraps of fabric, wondering what I can do with them to make something useful or warm or...whatever. I look at yarn, and while I've hated knitting in the past, it could be a way to make warm clothing, maybe a second go at it would be good. I think that God has smiled on me and seen my heart, and he's giving me what I want. I don't want to sit around all day and do nothing, I want my days to glorify him. There is nothing better than lovingly making something for my family to eat, interspersed with a few puzzles or game time with my kids. Nothing better.

"She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands." Proverbs 31:13

I have eager hands right now, and such a willing spirit. I have a peace in my heart that God will see to the things that need to be seen. It's honestly completely illogical that I should be at peace with the time ahead, but I know he has my back. I know he loves me and my family- and especially my children, and that they will have what they need when they need it. Who knew when I did this study on Proverbs 31 that it was preparing me for a time ahead. I thought I was just trying to improve upon my character, and yet I've found many applications that prove otherwise. And I will continue to read God's beautiful words in Proverbs 31, because each day that I do so, I feel like I get a glimpse at the potential, at the woman I can be someday, and I know I'm on my way. And I just feel great about that today.

No comments: