Monday, September 24, 2007

To Be Content

"Though the mountains be shaken
and the hills be removed,
yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken
nor my covenant of peace be removed,"
says the LORD, who has compassion on you.

11 "O afflicted city, lashed by storms and not comforted,
I will build you with stones of turquoise,
your foundations with sapphires.

12 I will make your battlements of rubies,
your gates of sparkling jewels,
and all your walls of precious stones.

13 All your sons will be taught by the LORD,
and great will be your children's peace.

17 no weapon forged against you will prevail,
and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.
This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD,
and this is their vindication from me,"
declares the LORD." Isaiah 54:10-13,17

"I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians 4:10-12

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." 1 Timothy 6:6-8

The world we live in today teaches us to not be content. Everyday we are told about the next great thing that we need to have, or we see that the neighbors have the latest and greatest and we should have that too. We are taught that everything is about money and wanting more of it so that we can have more stuff. We are told that it's okay to work ourselves to death in pursuit of money, because that money is going to buy us the happiness we want. It's a vicious cycle. Because even if we get to the dollar figure we have in mind, we find we want even more and by the world's standards, we'll never truly be happy until we have it all.

Being content is something that truly needs to be learned. I'll admit to going in spurts where I feel content, but then those thoughts will start creeping in and I'll want more again. It's a back and forth battle for me, but I am learning. I certainly do desire to be content with what we have and where we are. In fact, right now Andy is very actively pursuing a job that is going to be a significant pay cut from the one he has. But he'll be happier there. He'll be able to work less grueling hours, and he'll have time in the evenings to take care of business at church- something he hasn't been able to do. It's not a for sure job yet, but we both really feel that God has steered him in that direction for a reason.

To be content. It sounds like such a simple and basic thing to reach for. Yet it isn't, it's something that is actually difficult to obtain. This past weekend we took the kids to a nearby park to play. The kids were thrilled. They spent hours exploring the woods and trees and playing on the play equipment. We went on nature hikes and rolled down hills. It was a blast. We needed nothing to spend the afternoon at the park. It didn't take money or the latest and greatest in stereo equipment. It truly was a perfect day, and we were content. It's a day to hold onto, to remind us what is important now, and that is family and God. There is nothing more important.

No comments: