Saturday, September 15, 2007

Reverence

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30

When I think about my college days...boy charm sure is deceptive. A simple way to think of charm could be, at times, similar to flirting. Saying just the right things in just the right way with just the right look on your face to get exactly what you want. Although I should also admit that sometimes charm is used for good and not evil- in the case of reassuring someone maybe, as long as it's not false reassuring.

And outward beauty...certainly can be fleeting. I don't think I need to explain that much. But according to 1 Peter 3:3-4, beauty can come come from within.

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."

I know we've all seen elderly women who are simply radiant. Their skin may be wrinkly and sagging, and their bodies slow and stooped over, but they have a beauty that comes from within- perhaps their eyes have a gleam and a sparkle. That's the beauty that comes from a lifetime of loving God. And from being a woman who fears God- as seen in the second part of this verse today. I want to share some other Proverbs that talk about the fear of the Lord.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline." Proverbs 1:7

"To fear the LORD is to hate evil;
I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech." Proverbs 8:13

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Proverbs 9:10

"Humility and the fear of the LORD
bring wealth and honor and life." Proverbs 22:4

The fear of The Lord. That's a mighty thing to discuss, and I don't know that I have the words to try and do it justice. But Our God is a great and mighty God, and he is worthy to be praised- and feared. Think about it. He decided he didn't like the earth as it was, so he flooded it. Just cause he felt like it. Angering God is a very bad choice, I have to say, just look at Sodom and Gomorrah. In a blink of an eye he wiped out every scrap of city because they chose to live against his wishes. Fearing the Lord is a great thing. It's an important thing. It causes reverence. When I think of reverence, once again I think of stories I've read set in different times and eras, and I think of a woman who keeps her eyes downcast, who is humble and honors her husband by keeping her eyes from wandering.

Do I fear God? I certainly fear life without him. I would say I have fear- a healthy fear. And I do worry sometimes, after I've made a bad decision if I'm going to be punished somehow. But it always comes back to know that I know that He loves me. Just as a child fears their parents and retribution for bad behavior. A woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. I don't know that I'd go that far- I certainly don't desire praise, not do I think I deserve it, but to fear the Lord that much...that is something worth striving for.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, but it's so hard to remember that a beautiful spirit is of great worth (and more important) in God's sight (and ultimately other people's) than outer beauty! You know, we all like to feel pretty and sometimes, when we don't, it makes us feel badly...what a GREAT reminder God has given us...to us...in His Word!

How I desire to fear God and to serve Him in all I do. I know I fail at this everyday but pray that I fear Him more each day and grow more like Him through that fear.

Erika W. said...

It's so easy to get caught up in "outer beauty"- especially in today's day and age, I think. I find myself so often caught up even in other people's appearances- rater than what is on the inside. Oh my gosh, that person looks like they didn't even brush their hair today! But look at them praising God with all their heart. Then there's me who happens to be having a "good hair day" but I'm not really focused on God. Who do you think was more beautiful in God's eyes that day...