Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Thrifty Heart

"She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard." Proverbs 31:16

This woman is amazing. Truly. We have seen over the last few days that she is industrious and a hard worker. She wakes before dawn to begin her day and allows no distractions. And now we find out that she is also financially savvy. She considers a field and buys it. This means that she really thought about her purchase before doing so. She thought about it's worth to her, it's up front cost, and whether or not it was a good value. Obviously it was. And then we also see a vineyard! According to my Bible, the field and the vineyard are not the same thing. This means that she also bought a vineyard AND she herself planted it. This woman is tireless I tell you!

This makes me think about my spending habits today. She considered. She didn't just rush out and buy a field rashly- she thought about it. How often to I buy something rashly? I admit I've become much better at impulsive buying, but I don't do enough considering. How many things to I purchase that later on I discard because it wasn't quite what I wanted. Or I'll purchase something simply because it's on sale. I'll walk into a store and see a sale on shoes, and then even though I don't currently need shoes, because there is a sale, I look for some to buy. I need to do a better job of following the example of the Godly woman and consider. I need to consider all those purchases that aren't necessary. I also need to consider what I will do with those purchases and how they will benefit my household and those around us.

This verse today once again reminds me that there's nothing like hard work to get a job done and get further ahead. It seems like I'm always behind in something that needs to be done around the house. But it's also important to remember her impetus behind that hard work, and that is love. Love for her God and her husband drives her hard work. May God grant me the willing heart to be able to better show my love to my God and my husband through my daily activities.

No comments: