Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Choosing a Trait

Before I completely tackle Proverbs 31, I thought it best to read it through, and on first impressions, choose the trait that I think I need the most work on. The woman who is talking about this Godly woman is a teacher- Lemuel's mother. One of the things that could be garnered from this chapter is that this woman of noble character is somehow patterned after Lemuel's mother. She either was discussing her traits, or discussing the traits that she wished she had-learning from her mistakes. So before I can fully take in these verses and potentially teach about them to others, I think I need to identify where I need the most work. Granted, there are several areas where I think I need some work, but to me, there is one in particular. And that is found in verse 27.

"She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

And that would be idleness. Realistically, I realize that not every second of every day needs to be consumed with busy-ness, but I think I spent to much time being idle. I waste too much time on the computer some days. Some days I spend too much time wrapped up in a book. Some days (although rarely this one) I spend too much time in front of the TV. There is always something that could be done- and often times I put those things off for another day simply because I'm enjoying doing nothing. Or I spend too much time puttering in the kitchen, playing with a recipe. I suppose that could be considered idleness as well.

By saying I spend too much time being idle, I am not saying that I am lazy all the time. Just that I do it sometimes. And I can also say that I certainly don't consider the time I spend with my kids part of the lazy time. Watching a movie with them on either side of me is definitely quality time, and maybe if I spent more time focusing on what I need to get done every day, I'd find more time to spend with my children playing. By paying attention to what I should be doing, I think that more of those quality moments could be found. Those times where it really is okay to curl up and enjoy a book, or spend time playing video games with Abigail, because I've gotten done what needs to be done first.

I hope that by going through this chapter I can constantly be reminded of the person I could be. By focusing on this woman who God finds beautiful, I can find the inspiration and the strength to try and become more like her, and more beautiful in God's eyes.

No comments: