Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Lessons From An Ant

"Ants are creatures of little strength,
yet they store up their food in the summer;" Proverbs 30:25

Today we live in a world where we can go to the grocery store any day, any time of the year, and bring something home to make dinner. We also live in a world, where for the most part, people work year round, so there's no need to stock up for winter. It used to be (and not so long ago) that most people would work very hard during the warmer months and concentrate on storing food for the cold, lean months. And in many developing countries around the world, it is still this way. Those people are still like the ants mentioned in the Bible. And then there are the people in this country who would be grateful for the opportunity to be an ant and have food squirreled away for another day.

I am grateful for living where we do and when we do, but at the same time, I wonder what I can do to help others more. With Andy being in a seasonal job, we do have to live like ants somewhat. Right now, every chance I can I put food into a canning jar or a freezer bag. Very slowly, the freezer is filling back up, and I'm starting to catch a glimpse of a stocked pantry. Last week, while grocery shopping, I picked up a few things for the pantry, and decided that I should pick up double of everything, so that I could also stock our local food pantry. We are so blessed with the opportunity to be able to grocery shop every week if I need it. I am beyond blessed with the ability to have extra that I can tuck into the freezer for a cold winter day. It's the least we could do to remember those in need all year round.

I find great joy in being an ant. I love that knowing my hard work now will result in wonderful things for my family come January. For example, this week one of the local farm stands will be getting in peaches from Michigan. I plan to go purchase an entire case at a ridiculous price, and then with those peaches I am going to make some jam as well as a few batches of pie filling. Won't that be a wonderful treat in early March! A fresh and juicy peach pie that we will find so wonderful, all because God saw fit to bless us in August.

We have a great God, and I know that all the lessons I am learning now are for a reason. Someday that reason will be revealed, but for now, I think the reasoning is to be an example for my children. They take such delight in checking out the garden and in helping others. Maybe all the jam-making and pickling will come in use for my daughter some day- perhaps she will be a missionary in a developing country and she'll be able to teach gardening and food preservation techniques. Who knows. But for now, I am blessed by every single day and every single opportunity to be an ant.

No comments: