Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Taking Time Off

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:36

This is a great reminder for me when we are busy. It's also a great reminder when the unexpected comes up. We're finally enjoying the fact that Andy is back to work. We've been taking care of the things that have needed taking care of- clothing, eye exams, etc. We're still not at the point of setting aside for next winter, but that is just around the corner, and I'm glad we have the time to prepare this year, and we have a better idea what to prepare for. But it's remarkable how quickly I find myself back into the rut with money. Andy works a few less hours a week and I think about those lost wages. Shame on me.

Andy was just informed that he'll be having the whole week of the 4th off. Now, I admit, my very first thought was for the money side of it. A week without pay is a big deal. But then I am reminded that it is only one week. And once I let myself think about it, and think about this verse today, it occurs to me that Andy must need a week off to recharge. He's really been working long hours and spending a lot of time on the job. The kids miss him when he's not around, and this will be an opportunity for him to spend quality time with them. So we're now taking advantage and going camping for the week. Andy's going to get some much needed time with God and Family, and what could be better than that? Yes, on paper we will miss the week's worth of income, but it will all be okay, and shortly after the 4th the big savings plan will kick into high gear and we'll start preparing for winter. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

No comments: