Friday, June 01, 2007

Romans 12:2- Again

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

It seems I keep running into this verse.

Way back before I started this blog, and during my 40 Days of Purpose blog, I posted about feeling a prompting to play the drums for church. I used to play the drums for church during my teen years, and really haven't thought much about it until recently. Last summer something very unusual prompted me to think on it, and I decided that I needed to offer to play the drums at church. It took a very long time for everything to work out so that I could get to church and practice with the group, but I've been going and playing. Last night though, there was something "different" about practice that I couldn't quite put my finger on while at practice.

See, drums are something that get played by feel and sound. You do what sounds right at the time for that spot in the music, and I would literally hear something that I thought should be going on for a particular song and no way for me to do it because we lack the equipment. It was so weird I tell you! I kind of limped through practice I think because this was a really surreal experience- think along the lines of you have a drum and a stick in front of you and that's all. But what you clearly hear the song needs is a set of maracas. You clearly hear the maracas in your head. It totally threw me off. Then at the end of practice, our Pastor took over for the last song so I could hear how he does it, and the whole weird night sort of clicked for me.

I wasn't at the set anymore, I was sitting in the audience listening and paying attention, and once again I clearly heard something that wasn't there. Except that my hands weren't busy with the drum set at the time so I had the opportunity to reflect on what I was hearing and attempt to figure it out. And I think I did. I do think I made the right decision to offer to play the drums. Our Pastor is the drummer, and I am sure there are some weeks where he would just like to focus on the sermon and what-not, and not the drums. And that's what I'm there for- to give him a break. But I really, really think that God put me in the position to be on the Worship Team to ADD to it, not just replace someone on occasion. And all those weird things I was hearing in my head last night? Yep. I think I'm being led to do auxiliary percussion- something we don't have at church yet. Things like maracas, casaba, bongos, conga, wood block, etc. Every once in a while a singer will pick up a tambourine, but nothing consistent. And as soon as I thought of that it dawned on me that while I can play the drums- and I can keep a darn good beat and am consistent, it is not my forte. But the auxiliary stuff... that is truly where I always excelled. I swear the second it occurred to me what I was thinking last night it was as if I had a choir of angels in my head singing "aha!" like a bizarre light bulb moment.

So the point of Romans 12:2 today is that when you follow what you think is God's Will for you, sometimes His Will ends up being not quite what you think. Sometimes it is right on, but sometimes he leads you down a particular path to show you a different path further up ahead. And for the first time since I offered to play the drums I'm excited! I couldn't sleep last night because I wanted to build my kit, and I wanted to tell everyone what I am thinking! And this is the first I've mentioned it to anyone because I did want to sleep on it.

And when I think on it, I feel like I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed. It's like all the sudden all of my ducks are falling in line and one after another I'm figuring out what I am supposed to be doing in different areas of my life. I am so thankful to God for his promptings and for showing me His Path for me, I just pray that I am ready for what has been placed before me.

No comments: