Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Never To Old To Learn

" Better a poor but wise youth than an old but foolish king who no longer knows how to take warning." Ecclesiastes 4:13

I truly hope I always feel the way I feel right now. I am so open to new ideas and instruction. It can be incredibly rewarding to learn something new. Often times I hear about people talking about going back to school to learn something. And while that is certainly an option, I'm more or less talking about the practical learning. I am constantly learning when it comes to my children, and to cooking, and to working in the yard. Just yesterday I learned that when you plant a tomato plant in the dirt, you can cover half of it's stem and leaves to make the plant more sturdy and able to withstand high winds. I never knew that! I just assumed that if there were leaves, they needed to be exposed to sun.

Yesterday I also learned how much my son loves cherries. Last year he didn't want to eat them because they were too much work to remove the stem. Yesterday I bought some cherries, and my son could not stop eating them and spitting out the pits. His face was bright red from cherry juice before he stopped stuffing himself. I am also constantly reminded how much my children value time with me. :-) Last night before bedtime, they both came up to me smiling asking if we could play a game together. Fifteen precious minutes left in their day, and we spent it playing a silly board game together.

I can't imagine what life would be like if I wasn't open to learning new things. I am constantly learning about the person God wants me to be, and realizing that I can do more if I just try. I thank God for the desire to learn! Whether it be learning something from a book or learning something by doing. I pray that I am always willing to learn, and always open to new ideas and new suggestions.

No comments: