Thursday, May 24, 2007

Giving- the 200th post!

When I started this blog, I honestly thought it would only last a couple of weeks. I mean, how could I blog every day about the Bible and God and how those two affect my life. I guess I didn't realize just how accountable this blog would be for me. I really feel bad on the days that I miss for one reason or another. And it's amazing how many of my thought processes have changed, simply by digging deeper into God's Word and sharing what I find here. It's benefiting so many people. Every day, people from all over the globe are checking into this blog to see what it has to say. While the readership per day isn't very high, and hovers around 20 or so, the global points of origination are impressive. There are people checking in from time to time from Russia, Philippines, India, Great Britain, Germany, Hungary, Japan, Pakistan, Brazil, France, United Arab Emirates, Iraq, South Africa, Turkey, and Greece. I'm sure there are even more, but I wanted to share this list to say that we are making an impact.

So with that, something I wanted to talk about today for the 200th post is giving. Giving is near and dear to my heart- and it should be. Over the years I've taken a number of those tests that identify what some of your spiritual gifts are, and the two at the top have always been writing and giving. I am delighted that I've found blogging as a way to use my gift of writing. But giving is the one that really lights my fire, so to speak. I love giving to those in need, or even those not in need.

"He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing." Deuteronomy 10:18

"But just as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us —see that you also excel in this grace of giving." 2 Corinthians 8:7

There are so many people in need. I was just reading the other day about a congressman who tried to subsist on the food stamp allotment of 21 dollars a week and failed at it. He was hungry all the time, and proved in no time that 21 dollars does not go very far. There are people who live on that food stamp program, and would have nothing if it weren't for it, and to learn that they spend most of their time hungry is just awful. We have so much in this country, yet we have hunger. Why? I won't even get started on the poor nutrition that our nations poor have because this isn't the place for it. But I find myself so often adding extra food to my shopping cart to drop off in a bin somewhere. And several of our grocery stores here have mystery bags that you can buy and donate. So many times I want to do more though. I'm looking at my backyard garden, and my newly planted tomato plants, and one of my first thoughts was whether or not our local food pantry would take fresh produce. Why wouldn't they? So next week I'll likely be picking up a few more tomato plants because they take little effort to grow tomatoes, and imagine the family who usually comes home with boxed food from the food pantry, and gets to take home a bushel of fresh garden grown tomatoes!

We've slowly been reducing the amount of stuff we have in our house. I know I've posted before about reducing the clutter, but really more people should do it. Why on earth should we have a basement full of perfectly good children's clothes when we're not having any more children? Keeping it "just in case" is a horrible excuse, there are people who need clothing for their kids. Single moms who are just making ends meet and discover their child's shoes are too small would be thrilled with our basement. So we've been giving it all away. It's amazing how each time we hand over a box we hear "so you want something for it?" Crazy. There is such a thing as a free lunch, and I wish I could do more.

We do need to be careful with our giving though too.

1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:1-5

We need to be careful to not be showy about what we are doing. It can be very easy to get caught up in the "look at me- I'm putting a big bag of groceries in this bin for the needy" attitude. This works for me in general because I like to do things behind the scenes anyway, but it is a good reminder for me to read that verse.

So happy almost-weekend everyone! I will have a quick post tomorrow and then I'll be off until next Tuesday, as we'll be out of town visiting family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! It's neat when you see what effects (or possible effect) obedience can have, isn't it?!