Thursday, April 12, 2007

Psalm 62

I wait quietly before God,
for my victory comes from him.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress where I will never be shaken.

3 So many enemies against one man—
all of them trying to kill me.
To them I’m just a broken-down wall
or a tottering fence.
4 They plan to topple me from my high position.
They delight in telling lies about me.
They praise me to my face
but curse me in their hearts.
Interlude

5 Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
for my hope is in him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress where I will not be shaken.
7 My victory and honor come from God alone.
He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.
8 O my people, trust in him at all times.
Pour out your heart to him,
for God is our refuge.
Interlude

9 Common people are as worthless as a puff of wind,
and the powerful are not what they appear to be.
If you weigh them on the scales,
together they are lighter than a breath of air.

10 Don’t make your living by extortion
or put your hope in stealing.
And if your wealth increases,
don’t make it the center of your life.

11 God has spoken plainly,
and I have heard it many times:
Power, O God, belongs to you;
12 unfailing love, O Lord, is yours.
Surely you repay all people
according to what they have done.

Psalm 62

It's difficult to be quiet. Really. We have all become so noisy. There is always noise in the background- whether it be TV, music, the washing machine running, or children playing, there is almost always noise. Being a mom of young children, I have certainly come to understand and respect the quiet. Those rare moments when everyone is outside and I am in, or Andy takes Zander somewhere and the house is silent. And those moments are definitely rare. It's in those moments that I usually get myself a cup of coffee or tea, and I will just sit at the kitchen table with a book and enjoy the silence. Sometimes that becomes my impromptu quiet time with God, because we need to experience quiet with him.

It's during those quiet moments that we fill our hearts and minds with God's words for us. It helps build up our store of His Word so that when moments of trial or temptation come, we know how to deal with it. It can greatly help us to make an important decision. Spending that quiet time in prayer contemplating a choice and spending time in his word can lead to an answer or a direction. That quiet is so important!

I'm reminded of my days in theater. Before I would go onstage for the first time, I would find myself a quiet space away from the theater. I would try my hardest to clear my mind completely of all things that were going on- I tried my hardest to place my thoughts and my mind in that characters shoes, and concentrated on the lines to come, and becoming that character. By the time I made my entrance on stage, I was that character, everything else was out of my mind. It can be the exact same way with God. By starting off my day with that quiet time, I can empty my mind of all the garbage and the un-necessary and prepare myself for the day ahead. By spending that quiet time readying myself, I am prepared for what lays ahead. God is my Rock, and I can trust in him at all times and pour out my heart to him every day.

Our God is so great, and worth seeking out that quiet time to have with him and in His Word.


No comments: