Monday, April 09, 2007

Grace

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:6

Grace is a gift. It is beautiful grace that gives me a life that will last forever in the presence of God. Grace has many definitions in the dictionary, but to me, it means what I don't deserve. I certainly don't deserve grace. I don't deserve a wonderful husband and my beautiful children. I don't deserve the newfound joy I have in my daily housework. And I most definitely don't deserve the ultimate gift from Jesus Christ- that of life eternal. That is grace. Grace is what I get- despite not deserving it. And grace is something that I have been praying about, that I may be an example of grace, and may share that grace with other people.

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Colossians 3:12-13

We've all been there. That person just keeps talking, they just keep going on and on about their problems, and while you don't really want to continue listening, you are polite and reply when necessary the whole while just wishing that person would shut up so you can get on with your business. Imagine how different that conversation could be with a little application of grace. Instead of standing and nodding at your speaker, you gently guide them to a seat nearby so you can focus on what they are saying. You listen intently, interjecting where you can, offering encouragement or support as needed. And when they've finally finished, you quietly ask if you can pray for them and for this situation. And then before you leave, you let them know to call you if they need anything, and tell them that you will be thinking of them and praying for them that week. That is grace through and through. Think about that other person. Think about how much better they will be because you took the time to listen and pray for them and just talk with them instead of letting them ramble on and ignoring them.

That's what I am striving for, and asking the Lord for. I want to be able to respond to someone with grace. I am terrible at ignoring people when I'm out and about. I'll catch someone out of the corner of my eye and quickly go a different direction because I don't want to talk to them and hear about their problems. I think I could be a much better witness to other people if I just met them head on, looked them in the eye and asked how they were doing. I want to be a better example to those around me. And most importantly, I want to be a better example to my children. I want to show them the merit of grace, and how wonderful it can be. I pray that when it is needed, I will be able to show at least a measurement of the grace that has been shown to me.

No comments: