Thursday, April 26, 2007

God Is Light

" This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. 6 So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth. 7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. 9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts." 1 John 1:5-10

This is a passage to think on today. I'm still thinking on it, so that's why I thought I'd share it. I'm thinking specifically right now about sin. My husband has been listening to some CD's during his work commute this week, and every day he's brought home something to think about. This week one of the things he mentioned was how so often in today's churches and messages we hear encouraging things about sin. About how when we sin, it's okay, we can always get back up and try again. And that's good... but at the same time isn't it bad? Isn't it (as Andy put it) a sort of "Sin Management"? Wouldn't it be better to feel convicted about sinning instead of feeling encouraged about trying again?

So then I was thinking about sin, and how do I sin? You know, I really had to think about it. I don't sin, I don't do anything wrong- do I? Then I tried thinking of sin in a different light. Sin is something that makes you feel uncomfortable. Something you know you shouldn't be doing, but you're doing it anyway. To some, sin can be as simple as sleeping in. To others, something more serious like drinking to excess or swearing can be a sin. There are certainly plenty of days I'm guilty of doing something I think I shouldn't. Like shopping for one (although that has gotten much better). Or when I look the other way because I see someone out of the corner of my eye that I'd rather not talk to. Or when I allow someone to share a bit of gossip instead of cutting them off, and asking them to stop.

Thankfully, even though I am a sinner, and I have found that sin is a frequent occurrence, I have forgiveness for that sin. I am forgiven every day for doing the wrong thing, for not being the person I want to be. Because of grace I am fully pardoned and living in God's light. Yet I want to feel convicted about those sins so that I don't do them again. I want that to change. I don't want "Sin Management", instead I want "Sin Banishment."

"For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more." Jeremiah 31:34

"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more. Isaiah 43:25

No comments: