Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Rejoice!

Today I turned to Ecclesiastes chapter 5. We have found many of these verses to be true as of late. Here's a little snip from verse 10:

"Those who love money will never have enough."

How true is that. One thing that we have definitely been learning over the last several months is that money is not important. During the course of a day we'll mention something that we would like to have or something we would like to do, but we don't have the money for at the time. But then we realize that we really don't need whatever that is. What more could we possibly need? We have a home, we have clothing (well, until Zander goes through another growth spurt), we have food, and we have each other. For the most part, we're healthy, and we've all rediscovered simple things that bring us joy. Last night it was nice enough for the first time this year for the kids to play outside for longer than a few minutes. They were outside having a blast for several hours- and that doesn't cost us a penny. Andy spent the day cleaning out the shed and organizing, and discovered plenty of things that he didn't know he even had! I spent the day baking- making homemade bagels, and bread, and a delicious new stew for dinner. We've re-discovered our library, where we can check out DVD's, educational computer games, magazines, and books at no cost to us. What more could we possibly need for entertainment! I've pulled out my cross-stitch once again, and it is a true joy to re-discover how much I enjoy stitching a new wall-hanging for my son.

"Even so, I have noticed one thing, at least, that is good. It is good for people to eat, drink, and enjoy their work under the sun during the short life God has given them, and to accept their lot in life. And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life—this is indeed a gift from God." Ecclesiastes 5:19,20

I certainly enjoy my daily work! I enjoy doing the laundry and seeing an empty hamper. I definitely enjoyed my baking yesterday, as the results made the entire family smile. It is a gift from God to be content with where we are and what we are doing. Last week I was lamenting the fact that I really want new dining furniture. Our set is pretty beat up, and we have our group over every week. I allowed myself a moment of pity for being embarrassed about my table and chairs. I even looked up a few sets online and debated as to whether or not it would be a good idea to charge a set and pay for it later when Andy is working again. Thankfully, God had other plans for me, because the very next morning, Andy declared his intention to repair the wobbly table and chairs, and did I want him to change the fabric at all. An answered prayer!!! For just $10 in new upholstery fabric and a few screws and staples, I have a gorgeous new dining set. It still makes me smile to look at my new chairs. Later today, I may pull out my sewing machine and make anew tablecloth for that table.

Every day we have is a gift from God. It is a true gift to kiss my daughter on the forehead and wake her for school. It is a gift to have my son declare that he wants a snuggle. It is a gift to take my hands and lovingly create a loaf of bread or a pot of soup for my hungry family. It is a gift to watch my husband pour love into a project for me. To us, this season of unemployment has become a season of love. We appreciate the small things so much more. A friend gave us a block of cheese this past weekend. It doesn't sound like much, but it happens to be one of my favorite cheeses, and we certainly can't afford to buy it ourselves. Having the tiniest nibble of that cheese puts such a smile on my face, I am so grateful for generous friends and for their constant gifts and support for us. I'm even grateful for the grey day outside this morning! As much as I wanted to hang the laundry outside today, I know those clouds hold rain, which will finish melting the remaining snow and will help soften the ground further for planting. New buds are beginning to form on the trees and bushes, and the fresh rain will be welcome to all the plant life.

"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that even through this time of unemployment y'all have been able to rejoice in family time and simple fun...what a blessing. My church is rejoicing this weekend as we move into our new building. It has been many years of prayer, waiting on God, searching for God's direction, and more...we are excited and rejoicing in His blessing and grace towards us.

Erika W. said...

Oh how exciting Claire!! We will have been in our current building for two years this May. That was such an exciting time for us... enjoy it!