Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Planning A Garden

"She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks." Proverbs 31:16,17

Yesterday we had the most beautiful day in a long time. It was in the upper seventies, which is abnormal for this time of year. It just was such a gift, and definitely needed. Zander literally spent the entire day outside playing, and my heart continuously leaped with joy as I watched him run around and explore everything. He's just grown so much over the winter, and when I watch him hit a baseball with confidence or kick a soccer ball, I am amazed at how much he's changed over the last several months. As we blew bubbles together yesterday I just thanked God for my precious little boy, and I prayed that he stay such a treasure.

While we were busy playing and discovering, Andy tackled readying the garden. We have a shed in our yard, and last year, we placed a tiny garden off one side of it. As much as I want a vegetable garden, I hate the idea of taking up my children's play space, so we've gotten creative with our gardening. This year, God showed showed us the unused space (12 feet!) along the back of the shed that gets full sun most of the day, so Andy made a second bed along the back, and then because she asked for it, he made a small bed for Abigail to plant whatever she would like. And even though it's much too early to think about planting yet, I was looking at the raised beds, empty, and thanking God for this opportunity. And I prayed that he would guide me as to what would be best to plant this year. It's been such a joy for me to pull vegetables out of the freezer or pickles out of the pantry from last fall. I can't wait to begin the process of planting and tending and eventually harvesting and preserving.

God has placed this intense desire on my heart to take care of my family as best as possible. And in the process, they can learn along with me. Both my children can't wait to plant a garden, and I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when they bite into a carrot they've planted, nurtured, and pulled out of the ground themselves. I am so grateful for this opportunity to teach them and work with them on the family gardens, I only pray that I am able to use as many teaching opportunities as possible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, how much I wish I could have a garden. Yet, I have no yard at my apartment! :-) My parents will be planting tomatoes and blueberries for sure. Hopefully, they'll do something else like beans or squash (MY favorite!). How much fun for Abigail to have her own area. That will be such a good learning experience for her to have a responsibility like that.