Wednesday, February 07, 2007

One More Promise

The beauty of being at this devotional blog for so long now is that it has become a habit, I daresay. And even though everything goes out the window when I'm not feeling well, I know that I can come back to this blog and pick it up like I never missed a day. I like that. And while part of me did miss my devotional blogging the last few days, mostly I wasn't thinking about much more than taking my next snooze. I'm thrilled to be feeling better, and I'm looking forward to getting my energy back. So with that being said, I had one more promise I wanted to touch on. Here is the verse in Romans 8:37:

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." Romans 8:37

This is a promise to us that we need never be defeated Christians. We are more than conquerors, because we have our God behind us every step of the way. When I think of a conqueror, I think of a barbarian. Someone who takes whatever they can because they can. Someone who moves into a space and completely takes it over- or takes control of a person. And while we can say that we frequently conquer our own personal battles from day to day, really we do much more than that because we have our God with us. And because Jesus died for us, for our sins, we can never be parted from our God. Never. There is nothing any physical man can can do to us to separate us from the love of Jesus.

This can be such an encouragement during times of persecution. Whether that persecution comes from a neighbor or co-worker or boss or family member, it would serve us well to remember that we have the love of Jesus with us at all times. Even when we are at the bottom of the barrel, Jesus still loves us, and that makes us a winner in his eyes. This is something that I would have loved to have at the forefront of my mind during my school days. Even though I'm sure I heard this several times in Sunday School and church, it never really stuck, I guess.

The promises of God are such a wonderful thing. I think I'd like to come back to them again in the near future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is SO exciting that we have already won the victory through Jesus' battle for us! Yes, even when we feel defeated we can remember that we have won the ultimate battle and that through our small battles, our great God has given us the strongest armour there is and He will fight the battle with and for us.