Saturday, February 10, 2007

Jericho

This morning I was led to Joshua 6, the story of the fall of Jericho. I just can't read this story anymore without thinking about vegetables and slushies...anyway...

This was almost a light-bulb moment this morning. How often do we have problems in our life that seem huge to us? That in our minds are as big as Jericho? Pretty often, actually. Those problems that you dwell on... so many of our waking moments are devoted to thinking on and praying about these problems and how to bring down those walls. Verse 3 has an amazing example of what we are to do with those insurmountable problems.

"You and your fighting men should march around the town once a day for six days."

The key phrase here is "once a day". Just once a day we should devote our prayers and thoughts towards this problem we have. Once a day! And then move on to other things and other tasks that need to be taken care of. Now once a day did eventually lead to seven times in one day- and that happens too. There may be times where God tells us to go ahead and concentrate our prayers and wait on him to answer. That may take some practice to recognize that point. But in the meantime, those nagging problems will only get my attention for a portion of my day, during my prayer time. I pray that God will grant me the perseverance to follow his instructions and take care of my problem once a day. Eventually, the walls will crumble, no matter how high or how strong our enemy is, it's only a matter of time before the walls come down.

No comments: