Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Importance of a Name

This summer my sunday school class (just the girls!) went through a book called Lord, I want to Know You. I decided to go through it again. So soon...yep and I've already learned more than I did the first time! Anyway, this book is about the names of God. But why should I care about the names of God? Why do I want to know about the names of God? Because they reveal Who He is! Names reveal character. Especially during centuries past, parents chose a name for their children because of what it meant, good or bad. So, if I want to know about my God and who He is, what better place to God that to the Bible and the names that He uses to describe Himself!

Another reason to learn about God's names is straight from His Word: "The name of the Lord is a strong Tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe." Proverbs 18:10. We can take refuge in, power from, comfort from His name. We can even BOAST in His name: "Some boast in chariots, and some in horses; but we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God." Psalm 20:7. Chariots and horses break, fail, and die. His name lasts forever! It was ever since He was...before time; and it will be beyond time. What better thing to boast in! But what does "boast" mean? Well, it means "to have confidence in, to trust in."

His name holds so much power...when He returns to gather His children, HIs bride, EVERYONE will bow...at the NAME of Jesus! Wow! His name sets His annointed securely on high and sets up banners...banners of victory (Psalm 20, go ahead a read it all!). So, to know my God intimately, which is His desire, I must know who He is...If I know His name I know Him! So, let's continue learning about our God and His character through learning His names!
(Thanks for starting us off, Erika!) :-)

Coming up: Elohim!

1 comment:

Erika W. said...

Ooh! Claire that gives me chills just reading your introduction!!

I cannot wait to see what youhave to share. :-)