Friday, November 03, 2006

Elohim - The Creator

This is the first name used for God, Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, Elohim created the heavens and the earth." This comes from two Hebrew words, "el" and "him." El means "mighty" or "strong" and is used when referring to any god. "Him" is a plural ending. How neat is that?! God's name indicates the trinity, even though God is one at the same time (Deut. 6:4, "The LORD (Jehovah) is our God (Elohim), the LORD is one."). I don't understand it but, praise God, I don't have to. I must simply believe in Him as Savior, as my Sacrifice, my Redeemer, the Way to Heaven.

Now, if God is the Creator, then He created YOU! YOU are uniquely made by God in His image. In fact, each of us if "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:13-14). This was so important to me as I thought about all the children who people view as mistakes or disfigured, those who are outcast; God made them as well (Exodus 4:11)! He made them BEAUTIFUL! May I always treat them as a creation of God. He made everyone so that His works might be displayed! So, remember that God created you uniquely and beautifully and wonderfully!

Now that we know that God created us, WHY did He create us? In Isaiah 43 (I LOVE this passage!) He gives us precious words. Although my book didn't reference them all (only 1, 3-4, and 7) I'm going to do all of 1-7 because it is so encouraging!

"Thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel, 'Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! (WOW!! He calls my name and I'm HIS!)
"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you.
"For I am the LORD you God (Elohim), The Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I have given Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in your place.
"Since you are precious in My sight, Since you are honored and I love you, I will give other men in your place and other peoples in exchange for your life.
"Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, And gather you from the west.
"I will say to the north, "Give them up!" And to the south, "Do not hold them back." Bring My sons from afar and My daughters from the ends of the earth,
"Everyone who is called by My name, And whom I have created for My glory, Whom I have formed, even whom I have made.'"

There is SO much in there! But, in reference to why we were created...for His glory! But what does glory mean. I think this is SO neat and visual...the Hebrew word for glory means "to give a correct opinion or estimate of." SO, when we live to honor God, we are to live in such a way that gives a correct estimate of Him...in presence of others AND when we're alone! Oh, I'm talking to myself. I fail at this so often but thank God for His forgiveness and mercy! Revelation 4:11 also tells us that "because of [His] will [we] were created." Apparently, the KJV uses the word "pleasure" for "will." That was so neat to me...I was created for God's pleasure! FOR HIS PLEASURE!!! YOU were created for His pleasure!

So, why were we created? For His glory and for His pleasure. I am to live in such a way that I show the character of God to the world...that I show His love, HIs grace, His mercy...all that He is! I pray that I do that, but I know that without Him I cannot! Lord, thank You that You provide strength for all I do and forgiveness for all my failures!

1 comment:

Erika W. said...

Wow!!!!

That is something to think about! It's mind boggling to me that God takes pleasure in me and what I do. Sometimes I think my life is trivial, it's a wonderful reminder that God made my life the way it is for a reason- and that it gives him great pleasure when I give him the glory for an accomplishment.

It's also good to be reminded that there is mercy and forgiveness! Oh my, where would I be without those... especially when I realize that I do not glorify God in all I do. But he can give me the strength to work on my shortcomings and recognize where I need to improve.

Thanks Claire! What a much needed boost for me tonight. What a wonderful God we have!